- Especially in a dish like this where the butter is a key ingredient, I love to use Kerry Gold Irish butter. It has a ton of buttery flavor.
- If a mussel doesn't open even after you allow it a few extra minutes over the heat, don't eat it.
- Fresh mussels in the shell (a good rule of thumb is 1 lb per person for an entree)
- 1 stick (4 oz) Salted butter
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 tsp Garlic Flakes
- 3 tsp Shallot Flakes
- Fresh bread (optional)
- Lemon (optional)
- Rinse and scrub mussels under cold water
- Using your fingers or paring knife, remove beards (strings that hang from the mussel shells), and discard.
- In a large stockpot set over medium heat, combine wine, butter, and spices.
- Simmer 2 minutes.
- Add mussels and cover, increase heat to high.
- Cook until all mussels are open, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, divide mussels and broth in bowls to serve. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges and grilled bread.