- 2 medium lemons
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 1/4 C water
- 2 bottles dry red wine
- 1 cup granulated sugar or honey (optional)
- 1/2 cup brandy (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Rockerbox Mulling Spice, or one small jar.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the lemons and oranges in wide strips, avoiding the white pith. Place the zest in a large saucepan.
- Juice the lemons and oranges, and add the juice to the pan. Add the mulling spices to the saucepan.
- Add the sugar and water, and place the pan over high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced by about one third (about 20 minutes).
- Add the red wine and brandy, stir to combine, and bring just to a simmer (don't let it boil). Remove from heat, and strain into mugs. Serve hot.