Dry rubs are the easiest, most rewarding way to season meat. Rockerbox BBQ Rub is perfectly formulated to season any cut of meat with the perfect balance of salt, garlic, onion, black pepper, brown sugar, and other complimentary spices. The best part about using dry rubs (as opposed to marinades) is there's no wait. You just rub the spice on the surface of the meat and toss it in the pan. All the flavor of the spice actually adheres to the meat. This isn't true for marinades, which actually don't permeate very deep and are left in the marinade bowl instead of in the pan. So, get creative - use any combination of dry rubs on your meat - this recipe is as flexible as it gets!
- 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- BBQ Rub
- Vegetable oil or Canola oil
- Pat chicken parts dry with a paper towel, and cut off excess fat, leaving the skin on.
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Rub BBQ Rub over the chicken, coating every surface.
- In a cast-iron (or heavy oven-safe) pan, heat 2 Tbsp cooking oil on medium heat for 1 minute, until hot but not smoking.
- Nestle chicken in the pan skin-side down. Occasionally rotate the pan and rearrange the chicken thighs to evenly distribute the heat, until the fat renders and the skin is golden brown - about 12 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven and cook 13 more minutes.
- Flip chicken, continue cooking until skin crisps and meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer to plate; let rest 5 minutes before serving.
SUBSTITUTIONS: BBQ Rub for Garam Masala (add salt), Garlic Pepper, or Roasted Garlic Dust (add salt)